Powered by Blogger
Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Two-fold Love Story


In this month of love, I thought it might be fun to share about how I met my own hero. Even though I never had a wedding or a honeymoon, I got something better (besides a great hubby, I mean.) I got a mother-in-law who adored me.

In this day of mother-in-law jokes and stories of couples with mother-in-law problems, that's no easy feat. Here’s how I got so lucky:

I was working as a ‘team-leader’ nurse on a surgical wing. One of my nurse’s aides was a mature woman named Lorene. She was one of the kindest, hardest working people on staff. I loved working with her and we became friends. Over the months, we talked about our shared faith, our families, basically everything. When her son’s wife left him, she was broken-hearted and told me about it. Later, after the divorce, she started telling me what a great guy he was. I never dreamed she had an ulterior motive for talking him up, until the evening he ‘stopped by’ the hospital during our break. Boy, was he cute! She introduced us and he began to show up at break time on a regular basis. Pretty soon, we went out for coffee after work, and seven months later, he proposed.

I later discovered that while Lorene was telling me all about this terrific son of hers, she was telling him about me! After Gene and I married, Lorene always told people that she could never complain about his choice of wives because she picked me before he did. She was a fabulous mother-in-law who treated me like a daughter all the days of her life. Lorene passed away last summer. I will always miss her.

Okay, your turn. How did you meet your sweetie?

6 Comments:

Blogger Myrna Mackenzie said...

Linda,
That is such a beautiful story! What a gift to have had this wonderful, loving woman in your life. And to choose you as a wife for her son? Sigh.

I met my husband in high school and he asked me out about a week before we were both going to graduate (in the city, we might never have run into each other again if we hadn't gotten together then). Ten years later we finally walked down the aisle.

February 19, 2009 at 4:51 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

Awww, I envy you your wonderful MIL.
I met my husband when I wasn't supposed to. (Or was I? Long story. *G*)
I was 16 and so depressed, all my other friends had been on dates and were starting to "Pair Up". I told my Mom and she said that we should pray about it and we did. The next evening I was taking a friend to meet (be fixed up) with a guy. There happened to be an extra fella there with the most gorgeous blue eyes. Every one sat to watch a horror movie and ordered pizza (I couldn't eat it after seeing parts of the movie and offered it to the fella.) Turns out he was checking me out! We met back again at the same friends house the next night and he asked me out. We dated for a year, broke up for a month and dated again, we were married the next year. *G* We've been married 16 years now. And his Mom? After we'd been dating (And attending school and working practically full time) she called my Mom and asked her if maybe were seeing too much of each other. My Mom's reply? No. *G* My Mother ADORED my hubs and treated him as if he were her own. I wish I could say the same, though she's mellowed towards me in the past few years. *g*

February 19, 2009 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

Oh, meant my MIL has mellowed towards me. *G*

February 19, 2009 at 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Linda - what a fabulous way to honour Lorene, you've painted a lovely picture of her.

I met my other-half on my first day of work at a new job. There was a seven week delay after interviewing and I was having second thoughts about whether I should (or could) wait around for a decision (money was running out fast).

That night I woke from a dream with a message very clearly in my head. The message said 'Wait. You're going to meet the man you'll marry there'.

Sucker that I am for midnight voices (and men I might marry), I waited, got the job and on my first day at work as I arrived he was standing at reception. A few months later we started dating and eight years later we're still together.

So... moral of the story is always listen to those midnight voices :)

*Nikki*

February 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger Linda Goodnight said...

Brandy,
Isn't it cool how each of our meetings is different, but perfect for us. I like your story of not eating the pizza because of the gory movie. Hmm. Maybe that's why I don't like pizza...

February 22, 2009 at 6:20 PM  
Blogger Linda Goodnight said...

Nikki! That is so cool. Brandy met her guy through prayer and you met yours through a dream. Now I'm wondering how many people have met through unusual ways like this?

Wow.

February 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home