Powered by Blogger
Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

WEDDING DRESSES


Wow! Liz’s blog yesterday inspired me to think about wedding dresses. Wasn’t that photo great?

As a moon-eyed teenager, I dreamed of having a big Gone With the Wind southern style dress and a train that dragged from here to London. But that didn’t happen. So I have no wonderful wedding dress story of my own to tell. Okay, stop feeling sorry for me. :-) I’m okay with it. Elopers do not plan ahead.

However, I still love to look at Wedding Dresses in shop windows and browse online. It’s been interesting to watch the wedding dress evolve over the years, from the traditional flowing gown to the sometimes strange and funky designs of today. Check out some of these styles!

The bottlebrush anyone? Socccor Bride?

Anyone remember Princess Diana’s wedding gown? Even though the marriage was as ill-fated as our sweet princess, her dress was the kind fairy tales are made of. I watched that wedding with all the gushing sighs of a young girl in love. From the elegant, satin gown to horse drawn carriage, Diana had the wedding (and the dress) fit for dreams and romance novels.


What kind of wedding dress invaded your dreams? Did you have it? Or are you still dreaming? Do you have any interesting, strange, or gorgeous styles to share?

8 Comments:

Blogger Melissa McClone said...

I actually found my dream wedding dress when I was looking through a bride magazine with a coworker at work who was getting married during our lunch. The bride was standing outside near some stone steps or a wall. I knew I wanted a dress like that if I was ever to marry! I asked my friend if I could tear out the picture and she checked what was on the opposite side and ripped it out. At the time I had no boyfriend, but I stuck the page in a manila folder and put it in my desk at work.

When I finally was going to get married, I pulled it out. But by then, I couldn't find that dress anywhere! And given what I learned trying on different wedding dresses probably wouldn't have been that flattering. But it sure was fun to take a peek at it over the years and daydream.

Melissa McClone

April 9, 2008 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger Liz Fielding said...

I saw Diana's dress when it was on display in London, along with the bridesmaid's dresses and page boy suits. It was just soooo beautiful.

April 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Liz, how cool. I was one of those Americans completely enamored of the Princess. I would have loved seeing her dress on display.

April 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Melissa Leavitt said...

Liz and Linda, I'm with you! I'd love to see her dress on display.

When I was younger, my dream wedding dress was similar to the one Audrey Hepburn wore in "Funny Face." I also fell in love with the one Clare Danes wore in Romeo&Juliet... Both are short, full crinoline and simple boatneck top.

I ended up wearing a very beautiful off the shoulder, heavily beaded, very full skirt with a 12 foot cathedral train dress. Funny how things can change... LOL!

April 9, 2008 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Liz Fielding said...

I loved anything that Audrey Hepburn wore!

April 9, 2008 at 11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Liz and Melissa. If Audrey Hepburn wore it, I loved it. She was the essence of elegance, grace, and class. Loved her!

Melissa, I also love the idea of that 12 ft. train. But I've always wondered--how do you keep it from getting it captured in doors, elevators, under chairs and feet?

April 10, 2008 at 7:20 AM  
Blogger Melissa Leavitt said...

One very pregnant sister in a red hot dress! LOL, it was a serious challenge. The worst was getting to the church. Dress wrinkled like crazy. 5 min late due to steaming while wearing it! After the ceremony, I had it busseled up with hidden hooks and eyes, but it was VERY heavy.

April 10, 2008 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger catslady said...

My daughter and I just went dress shopping last month. There was a "wow" dress that I really wanted her to get but we both agreed it would have been too heavy (she's tiny) for a July 29th wedding. The dress she chose was her favorite and a bit more traditional.

I not only had this huge, long veil but a train just as long - what was I thinking lol.

April 14, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home